Amy Ficklin DeBrota
Ficklin DeBrota was admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana
and U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts
of Indiana in 1993 and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- Indiana University (B.A., 1987); (J.D., cum laude,
- Executive Articles Editor, Indiana Law Review, 1992-1993.
- Principal Member, The DeBrota Law Firm LLC, 2006 to present;
- Principal Member, Price Waicukauski Riley & DeBrota LLC,
- Partner, Riley DeBrota LLP (and predecessor firms), 1997-2005;
- Associate in employment and general civil practice, 1995-1997;
- Deputy Prosecutor, Marion County, Indiana, 1994-1995;
- Law Clerk to Honorable Linda Chezem, Indiana Court of Appeals,
- Delegate to US-USSR Emerging Leaders Summit, 1989;and,
- Assistant Director, Office for Drug Free Neighborhoods, Office
of the General Counsel, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Dumping Drug Dealers Off the Dole, 26 Ind. L. Rev. 89, 1992; and,
- Contributing Editor, American Bar Association Model Jury
Instructions and Equal Pay Act Cases, 2003.
- President's Award for Service to the Indianapolis Bar Association,
- Super Lawyer, Employment Litigation, 2007.
- Speaker, ICLEF , Worker's Compensation Seminar, The Use (and Misuse) of the FMLA to Discharge, November 2011;
- Speaker, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Worker Compensation Seminar,
Family Medical Leave Act Overview and Red Flags for Plaintiff Lawyers, July
- Speaker and Co-Chair, 7th Circuit NELA Conference, March 2007;
- Speaker, Sexual Harassment and Gender Discrimination, Anatomy
of Discrimination Cases, ICLEF, October 2006;
- Speaker, Getting Down to
Basics: Understanding Indiana Wage Statutes, Indianapolis Bar Association,
- Speaker and Co-Chair, 7th Circuit NELA Conference, February
- Speaker, State Law Claims for Employment Lawyers, NELA-Indiana,
- Speaker and Co-Chair, 7th Circuit NELA Conference, 2005;
- Speaker, Federal Court Practice Pointers Indianapolis Bar Association Bench/Bar Conference, June 2004;
- Speaker, ICLEF Hot Topics in Federal Class
Actions, May 2004;
- Speaker, Indiana Civil Rights Commission ADA Seminar,
- Chair, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Sunrise Litigation
Seminar, November 2003;
- Speaker, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association Sunrise
Litigation Seminar, Employment Law overview, February 2003;
- Speaker, EEOC
Technical Assistance Program, September 2002; and,
- Speaker, National
Business Institute Unemployment Compensation Seminar, 2001.
- Indiana State Bar Association, 2007 to present.
- Indiana Employment Lawyers Association, Member, 1998 to present
(President, 2005 and 2006);
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 1995 to present (Legislative
Affairs Committee 2004);
- National Employment Lawyers Association, 1995 to present;
- Indianapolis Bar Association, 1993 to present (Small Firm/Solo Practitioner Ad Hoc Committee, 2002; Employment and Labor Law Executive Committee, 2004 to 2008; Bench Bar Conference Programming Committee, 2006);
- Federal Bar Association, 2003 to 2004;and,
- Indianapolis American Bar Association Labor Section Mentoring
Areas of Practice:
- Employment and Discrimination Law (Individual, Multiple Plaintiff and Class Actions) on behalf of employees and employers, Mediation and Human Resources Legal Consulting.
- Local Counsel in Christopher Reynolds, Kay Homier and Douglas Elsler et al v. Service Corporation International et al, Cause No. 49D031010MI043694, an unpaid wage claim class action in Marion County Superior Court.
- Local Counsel in Nicole Jones and Michael Chatterton v. Dick’s Sporting Goods, Inc., Cause No. 49D13-10-09-M-039081, an unpaid wage claim class action in Marion County Superior Court.
- Lead counsel in Veerkamp,
et al. v. U.S. Security Associates, Inc., Cause No. 1:04-CV-0049-DFH-TAB,
a collective action for unpaid wages and overtime under the Fair
Labor Standards Act in U.S. District Court for the Southern District
of Indiana with companion cases in the Southern District of Ohio,
Middle District of Tennessee and New Jersey federal district courts
and achieved favorable global settlement;
Lead counsel in Simpson,
et al. v. Flagstar Bank, Cause No. IP01-1468-C-K/T, housing/lending
discrimination class action in U.S. District Court for the Southern
District of Indiana, resulting in an approximate $1,165,000.00
counsel in Freeman,
et al. v. Supervalu Holdings, Cause No. 1:99CV0347, Equal
Pay Act/sex discrimination opt-in class action pursued in conjunction
with EEOC, resulting in $1.2 million total settlement;
counsel in Cadwell
et al. v. Fraternal Order of Eagles, in which the Indiana
Civil Rights Commission found the Eagles' "males only"
membership policy was contrary to the Indiana Constitution;
additional employment case settlements, many of which are
subject to confidentiality agreements; and,
- Other Class Actions: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, MDL
No. 1657; In re: Bextra and Celebrex Marketing Sales Practices
and Product Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1699; In re: Guidant
Corporation, et al., MDL No. 1708.
"It ’s not the size of the dog in the
fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog."
The DeBrota Law Firm LLC, an Indianapolis based employment law firm, provides mediation services, consultations and employee or employer litigation representation in central Indiana and throughout the state. Amy Ficklin DeBrota represents employees with claims for unpaid wages or overtime, unpaid commissions, breach of employment contract, discrimination, equal pay, retaliation, whistleblower actions, as well as other types of employment related legal claims under federal and Indiana state law. She has special interest and experience in representing nurses, doctors, veterinarians and other health care professionals with their employment issues. Further, she provides consultations with small and medium sized employers who are interested in avoiding employment based lawsuits. Ms. DeBrota is not only a lawyer. She is also a registered Indiana mediator who is available to travel to or host mediations regarding employment disputes, personal injury claims, and general civil litigation. She has the legal knowledge and years of experience to allow her to effectively communicate with individuals who are experienced with the law, and with those for whom the legal system is unfamiliar, in order to help everyone concerned realize the benefits of an agreed settlement. Ms. DeBrota is a dedicated, effective Indiana employment law attorney and mediator based in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Family Medical Leave Act